Thursday, January 14, 2010

3. DAY 2 (ONLY 1196 HOURS TO GO!)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Day 2 (I'll eventually stop counting the days)
Ms. Diamond was our teacher today. She is a huge (I mean huge!) woman with severe arthritis in her feet, so that she wobbles when she walks. I am such a New York snot, with my preconceived notions. She turned out to be a doll.

We went over the chapter that we had for homework. I was furiously taking notes as my classmates used different colored highlighters to highlight the important stuff in their textbooks. Heads rested down on their desks on their left arms (we're all righties) as they dragged their colorful (purple seems to be the color of choice) highlighters across the pages.

After this we surprisingly were ready to do a zero degree cut. These degrees do not make any sense to me yet. We used a mannequin with very long hair, wet her hair, and then gave her (it?)a trim of 1" without lifting any of the hair away from the head. We learned how to hold our shears properly, how to palm them when combing the client's hair with the comb in the same hand as the shears. When done Ms. Diamond checked out our mannequins to see if the hair was even, and how well we did. I got the thumbs up, and since I finished about a half hour before my classmates, I got to have a bit of a break, longer than our usual two 10 minutes.

I was really excited! It felt very natural to me; even holding the shears the correct way, which was weird at first, began to feel very comfortable. I was psyched!

No comments:

Post a Comment