Saturday, January 23, 2010

10. NEW INSIGHTS

Though this is Saturday, I had to work, as the agency I work for is limited in it's resources for RN's (actually, I'm the only one available except for one other who chips in once in a while).

I had to do a lot of driving and got to thinking about hairstyling.

In our studies, there is a lot written about form, texture, lines, and profiles related to hairstyling. It occurred to me that the reason why I am enjoying this so much is that I was a sculpture major. All the elements we are studying related to hair, is relative to sculpture. When I studied sculpture, I was working with a 3-dimensional form hidden within the block of material that I was sculpting. It's the same with hair. You are presented with a form, and you use your talents to figure out what you can carve from this form to create something beautiful. You take into consideration the person's features, the elements of their face and body and how you think a style would be appropriate to compliment their features.

I realize this is the tip of the iceberg, as I have so much more to learn about this related to hairstyling, but the concept is the same. Before I even made the decision to study cosmetology, I would always comment to my husband when we would watch a show or a movie, how some one's hairstyle or hair color was so wrong for them, and what I thought would look so much better to compliment their features. Never did I think that life would head me in the direction to make a living doing this, though I have quite a ways to go, but my teachers keep assuring me that "it flies!"

I am still so surprised as to how much I look forward to starting another week of school. I can't wait until we start learning about color, and all that's involved with it. We have to study some chemistry, which I always found fascinating in college, and it will be interesting to apply the principles to the processes that we will be using. Especially from the point of having had so many processes done to my hair over the years; to learn the actual science behind it will be something I will really enjoy. I am the type of person who is never satisfied with just a plain explanation; I want to know the whys and hows behind it.

So this was my epiphany for today.

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment