Saturday, February 6, 2010

15. THIS STUFF MAKES SENSE

Mr. Sanchez was kind enough to postpone our test on the chapter most of us liked least until this past Thursday. I got a 92% plus the workbook which gave me another 100%.

My husband found this great website for people who are in the business of hairstyling or who are interested in the art:( http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/). I spent part of my morning looking at some of the instructions, and lo and behold, all the stuff in the chapter that we just tested on is there. Then I watched an episode of Shear Genius the other day and there too they discussed quite a bit of what this chapter offered. I guess I better go back and really learn the stuff if it's going to be such an integral part of my work!

We are now studying chemistry which we will have yet another exam on on Monday. Our neighborhood held a yard sale today, so since I had to sit outside from 8:00 AM until noon, I ended up reading the entire chapter and making flash cards to study from while I waited for customers.

I learned how to do a 90 degree haircut and a 45 degree haircut this week, and now I understand what the stylist has been doing when she cuts my hair. Mr. Sanchez was really impressed by my 90 degree cut saying he couldn't believe how great it turned out.

What we had to do was to take our African -American female mannequin and shampoo, blow-dry and flat-iron her hair until it was nice and straight. Then we had to give her (it) a 90 degree cut on dry hair. Mine came out beautiful, if I do say so myself. I am SO tempted to try and cut my own hair now-I just don't know if I have the guts!

While watching the above mentioned episode of Shear Genius, it occurred to me what this industry lacks. I realize that the contestants are chosen based on their talents as well as egos, and who will provide the most entertainment for the show by being controversial. Most are in their late 20's to 30's. What I realized is that they do not know how to listen. They, and from my personal experience, most stylists, are so wrapped up in their own head about how they know what would look best on a client, that they really do not listen to what the client is expressing or trying to express. I think coming into this field from a medical background may give me an edge over most, as listening is a huge part of trying to find out what is really going on with a patient.

This is something that probably can't be taught. It either comes with maturity, or not. Some people (like my ex) never get it and never will. Any hairstylist who has lost a client should follow up and find out what they did that caused the client to go elsewhere. I would bet that the proportion of complaints of not listening or "not getting it" in terms of what they asked for, would be quite great.

So I've begun to implement my plan for April. Starting March 1st I will not be seeing patients on Mondays and Fridays, but will use this time to catch up on inventory of my bags for my upcoming shows. Then in April I will start to go to school on Monday mornings and Friday mornings. I'll need to work some extra weekends to make some money, but I hope my shows will do well and that I'll get some follow up internet orders as well. It all remains to be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment